About Us

Chester E. Fritz Stadium

 

The Hermitage Panthers football stadium is named for Mr. Chester E. Fritz also known as "Coach" or "Chief".  He spent the majority of his adult life in Richmond, Virginia and was a highly acclaimed high school and college football player.  He was a 1948 graduate of the University of Missouri. Upon graduation, he was selected as a tackle by the American Football Writers Association to the Look All American Football team in his senior year.

He then was drafted by the San Francisco 49er's. He played two years with the Niners before coming to Virginia to play for the Richmond Rebels in 1951. Mr. Fritz served as assistant line coach for the University of Richmond before joining the Henrico County Public School System at Glen Allen High School, the forerunner of Hermitage High School. He spent thirty-four years as a physical education teacher and athletic director and twenty-one years as head football coach.

He received several honors and awards, including election into the Virginia High School League of Hall of Fame, the Hermitage High School Hall of Fame and the Fulton High School Wall of Fame.  He was also inducted into the American Football Coaches Foundation, received the Virginia Athletic Director's Award and a commendation from former Governor Charles Robb and the Virginia General Assembly.  In 1982, the Hermitage High School named it's football stadium in his honor. 

Mr. Fritz also introduced the split-T formation to the area and the first isometric equipment and training program that was instituted at Hermitage High School.

Hermitage High School

 

Hermitage High School is located at 8301 Hungary Spring Road in Henrico, Virginia.  Initially, Hermitage High School began in 1936 as the Glen Allen High School, which was located at the present-day site of the Cultural Arts Center off Mountain Road.  The building that is now George H. Moody School was opened in 1951 as Hermitage High School.  The current Hermitage High School was opened in 1972. 

History of the school name and/or community: 

Name of School: Hermitage High School
Year of initial construction of current facility: 1972
Year school opened: 1972
Floor/Area square footage: 367,447
Number of building(s)/stories: 5 buildings; 2 stories
Program capacity/maximum enrollment: 2,100
Number of classrooms: 91 
Site acreage: 58.94
School colors and mascot: Royal Blue & Red/Panthers
Grade levels: 9-12
School notables/awards/traditions: Football State Champions 1957; Cross Country State Champions 1976 and 1977; Band marches in the halls during the school day of Homecoming Football game
Specialty/Unique programs: U.S. Marine Corps Junior Office Training Corp (JROTC); Hermitage Technical Center; Center for the Humanities Principals: George H. Moody (1951-1956), H. A. McKann (1958-1959), Paul G. Watson (1959-1980), Thomas H. DeBolt (1980-1987), N. Douglas Hunt (1987-1998), N. Glenn Blackburn (1998-2003), Robert B. Tyson (2003-2008), Omega Wilson (2008-Present) 
Additional notes of interest: Hermitage has four members of the Virginia High School Hall of Fame: Chester Fritz, Frank Eastman, Tamela Penny Tyler, and Bruce Bowen. 
                                                                                                                                      ~Information courtesy of Henrico County Public Schools